When it comes to maintaining a comfortable and energy efficient home, insulation plays a significant role. Adequate insulation helps regulate indoor temperature, reducing energy consumption and utility costs. However, there are instances where insulation removal becomes necessary. Over time, insulation can wear down, compact or become less effective. Insulation removal involves safely removing and disposing of existing insulation materials from spaces such as the ceiling, roof and underfloors. Amelior Insulation offers insulation removal and replacement in Canberra, Sydney, Blue Mountains and surrounds.
Types of Insulation Removal
Ceiling and roof insulation removal
Roof and ceiling insulation play an important role in maintaining a comfortable indoor environment. However, over time, insulation may become less effective due to factors like moisture or pest infestations in the roof cavity. Blow-in insulation, loose-fill insulation, batts and rolls are some types of insulation that may be removed from a ceiling.
Underfloor insulation removal
Underfloor insulation is also beneficial for temperature regulation and energy efficiency. Removal may be necessary if the insulation was installed several decades ago, if it’s been damaged or disturbed and is not performing effectively. If you want to upgrade your underfloor to a higher R-value insulation, you’ll first need to remove the existing insulation. Two insulation materials commonly removed from the underfloors include polyester insulation and glasswool insulation such as Knauf Earthwool.
Benefits of Proper Insulation Removal
Insulation removal and replacement can be a smart move for your home’s energy management. If your old insulation is damaged, you’ll be reassured knowing that the new insulation materials will perform more efficiently, reducing the amount of energy needed for heating and cooling. According to YourHome.gov.au, having effective roof and ceiling insulation installed can save up to 45% or more on your heating and cooling costs.
Healthier living environment
Mould can grow on or around insulation if there has been a water leak, causing breathing problems, allergies or worsening existing conditions like asthma. Additionally, many pests will use old insulation as nesting material. By addressing these issues as soon as possible, you not only mitigate health risks related to mould but also prevent the infiltration of pests.
Should I Top Up or Replace My Old Insulation?
“Do I need to remove old insulation before installing new?” This depends mainly on the condition and estimated R-value of the existing insulation. Either way, if the existing insulation is inadequate, you basically have two options:
- Top up the insulation currently installed
- Replace the old or damaged insulation with new insulation.
In the case of ceilings, it’s not always necessary to remove old insulation if it is working effectively. In this case, topping up your current insulation might be the most economical option.
In most ceilings, insulation is installed between the joists, i.e. the wooden beams that support the roof and hold up the ceiling. The most effective way to top up existing insulation is to lay the new insulation across the joists perpendicularly. This seals all gaps, practically eliminates thermal bridging, and gives you the best R-value performance. The inconvenience with topping up insulation this way is that with joists covered by a thick blanket of insulation – it becomes bit more complicated for anyone who needs to access the roof space in the future. So if your existing insulation is in good condition and you don’t think anyone will need to access your roof space in the foreseeable future, topping up your current insulation is an excellent choice.
However, if your insulation is damaged, if you use your roof space for storage or if you need to go up there regularly, topping up your insulation so that all the joists are covered is not the best idea. In these cases, it’s wiser to remove all the existing insulation and install new insulation between the joists. For loose-fill insulation you might want to book in a roof insulation vacuum service . Many home owners also prefer replacing the old with new because it gives a sense of cleanliness and thoroughness, as opposed to leaving old batts underneath the new ones.
If in doubt, contact a certified insulation installer or insulation removalist – they’ll be able to give you expert advice.
Signs It's Time for Insulation Removal
So, what are some signs it’s time for insulation removal? Look out for problems like:
- Mould growth. The presence of mould on or around your insulation is a clear signal that moisture is an issue, indicating a need for removal and replacement.
- Pest infestations. If you notice signs of pests, such as droppings in your insulation, it pays to check the condition of the rest of the insulation. Although insulation materials such as glasswool are not naturally attractive to vermin, unfortunately the presence of their own droppings will make it more likely that the vermin will start to tear it up and use the insulation to build their nests.
- Visible damage. Inspect the insulation for any visible damage, such as sagging, discolouration or areas where the material seems compressed. These are signs that the insulation may no longer be functioning optimally.
- Temperature inconsistencies. If you experience uneven temperatures throughout your home, it could be a sign that your insulation is no longer effectively regulating indoor temperatures. If your ceiling is warm to touch during hot weather, then you can assume that your ceiling is under-insulated.
- Age of the insulation. Insulation materials typically come with an effective life expectancy of around 50 – 70 years. If the insulation in your home was installed over 50 years ago, then it may be due for a replacement, even if it’s technically undamaged.
Insulation Removal Cost
How much does it cost to remove old insulation? The cost of insulation removal varies based on several factors. The size of the roof, the thickness and amount of insulation and the level of difficulty in accessing the roof space all contribute to the overall cost. Contact an insulation removal company like Amelior Insulation to get a quote, or an over the phone estimate.
Insulation Removal and Replacement Service
Rising energy prices calls for more energy efficient homes. If you’re considering an insulation removal service that goes smoothly and has excellent results, contact Amelior Insulation to schedule one in. We also do insulation removal and replacement, combining both extraction and installation into one package.
Reach out to us on 0450 858 568 to book in a roof insulation removal. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you remove ineffective insulation from your roof space.